Return to top

Questions related to making a booking with Unite Students

How do I book a room?

There are several ways you can book with Unite Students. To book online, select your city and browse the properties where you’ll be staying. Choose the room you want and click ‘Book Room’ to enter the booking process.
Alternatively, you can call us on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas, to arrange your booking. You can also book at the reception in your chosen property.

How do I book on the phone?

Our contact centre is open to take your booking Monday – Friday from 8:00am – 8:00pm and Saturday from 9:00am– 6:00pm. Please call 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.
When you book you will need to pay a deposit via debit/credit card  and provide card or account details so we can set up your automated rent payments, so please have this information to hand. We will need to speak to the card holder to process the payment so, if you are not the card holder, please make sure the card holder is available to speak to us during the call. Once you have booked your room, your contract will be sent to you by email for you to check and sign.

Can I book at the property?

Yes. Drop by one of our property receptions during our opening hours and we will be happy to help. If you wish, you can arrange a time to speak to us and also see our rooms. Booking a viewing appointment will ensure that someone is available to help you – you can do this online or by calling us on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

Can I view your rooms?

Nearly all our properties have dedicated show flats which you can view and we can answer any questions you may have. You can arrange a viewing appointment online or by calling us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

Who is eligible to book with Unite Students?

Any full-time student can live with Unite Students, if you are unsure if you qualify please call us on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas, to discuss your situation.

How do I know if I am a full-time student?

Your university/college can usually tell you this.

If I am doing an internship/placement year, am I allowed to live with Unite Students?

If you are still registered as a full-time student and your placement is part of your degree/course then, yes, you can live with Unite Students.

What is the booking process?

First, choose your property. You can view all our properties by city on our website. Once you’ve chosen a property and completed the booking process online, on the phone or in-property (including all information and successful deposit payment) we will email you a tenancy agreement.
You will need to print this and thoroughly read through it with your guarantor. Both of you need to sign the tenancy agreement, along with a witness. You then need to return this to us by post before the expiry date, which is stated in the email (usually 14 days for UK students and 21 days for international students, but this can be shorter depending on the time of year when you are booking).

What happens if I change my mind after booking the room? Before/after I move in or before/after I send my contract back?

If you choose not to proceed before returning the signed paperwork, you can let us know and we will cancel the booking and return your deposit. Once you have signed the contract you will be bound by our cancellation policy if the 14-day cooling off period has elapsed. Our full cancellation policy can be found here.

What is a deposit protection scheme?

By law, if you pay a deposit to your landlord or letting agent then they must protect it in a government-authorised tenancy deposit protection scheme. This applies to all landlords and agents in England and Wales who have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) agreement (the contract) with their tenant. Mydeposits Scotland is the government-authorised body for deposit protection in Scotland. These schemes ensure that you are able to get your deposit back from your landlord or agent when you move out.

What is the utility guarantee fee?

This is already included in the rent payment and is not an additional cost to you. It is simply an amount set aside to ensure that your rent won’t increase if utility providers increase their charges.

How do I sign the contract?

We offer several types of contract. If you are unsure about how to sign your contract please contact us on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas. It is essential that you sign the contract correctly or we may not be able to process your booking, so if you are in any doubt, please give us a call.

What is a guarantor?

A guarantor is someone over the age of 18 who takes joint financial responsibility for your tenancy. If, for any reason, you are unable to pay an amount owed to Unite Students it is your guarantor’s responsibility to do so. You will need to name a guarantor when you make your booking and this person will need to sign the tenancy paperwork. We have the right to recover any outstanding monies from your guarantor so it is important that your guarantor understands their liability.

Who needs a guarantor?

All Unite Students tenants need a guarantor. However, your guarantor does not need to be based in the UK. They should however understand their liability and agree to this responsibility.

I’m a mature student, I will guarantee myself/I am paying my rent in full,  do I still need a guarantor?

Yes, all Unite Students tenants require a guarantor.

Who can be a guarantor?

Anybody over the age of 18 who does not live in a Unite Students property can be a guarantor.

What is a witness?

A witness is a person who is present at the signing of a legal document. They sign the document to indicate that they personally saw the signing and the document is authentic. The date that the witness signs any document should be the same as the date that the tenant/guarantor signs the document.

Who can be a witness?

The witness must be a third party, that is, not the tenant or guarantor, and should be over 18 years of age.
If the property being booked is in England then the witness must not be related to you or your guarantor. In Scotland it is acceptable for the witness to be related to either you or your guarantor.

Where do I send my signed documents?

You send the documents to one of our properties, usually the one at which you have chosen to live. The correct address is stated in the email which includes your tenancy documents.

How can I send my signed documents?

You should ideally send the original copies by post/courier service so that you are confident that they will arrive safely and on time. If you are having difficulties or are concerned that your documents will not reach us in time please call us as soon as possible on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

What part of my contract should I print off and send back?

A checklist of what to return to us is included in the documents you are sent so this is the best place to check what we need. If in doubt please send back all the documents that you have signed.

I will be unable to get my contract signed by my guarantor, what can I do?

This is an essential part of the contract, so please explore all the options for getting this signature. If you are still having problems, we can advise on some options so please call us as soon as possible on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

I have not had an email with my contract yet, what do I do?

Please contact us as soon as possible  to ensure that your booking does not expire. Call us on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas, and we can reissue your contract.

What happens if I need to cancel my room?

Please call us as soon as possible on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas. You can also find our current cancellation policy here.

What happens if I don't get the grades to continue at university?

If you are already living with us, please speak to the reception team at the property where you are living. In most cases, the standard cancellation policy will apply. Details of our current policy can be found here.

What happens if I don’t get my visa?

Typically our standard cancellation policy applies.

What is the "expiry period"?

This is the period of time during which your room booking is held for you (usually 14 days for UK students and 21 days for international customers). This is so you have time to look over the paperwork, get it correctly signed and returned to us. We advise you begin this process as soon as possible.

Why has my booking expired?

Your booking may have expired because we have not received your correctly signed tenancy paperwork on time and/or you have not provided all the necessary details to complete the booking, for example, your payment information.

My booking has expired – can I rebook?

You are more than welcome to rebook if your previous booking has expired. Please call us as soon as possible to book again on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas. Please be aware that we cannot guarantee booking you into the same room, as this may have been booked by someone else after your booking expired. We will do our best to match your requirements again though, so please give us a call or speak to your reception team as soon as possible to arrange a new booking.

I had a booking that expired and now my room is not available. Can I get the room I originally booked?

If the room was booked by someone else after your booking expired we cannot adjust their booking. We will help you to find another option to suit your needs.

My booking has expired – do I get my deposit back?

Yes, you will receive the deposit back in the form of a cheque, posted to the address listed as the deposit payer, usually within 14 days of your booking expiring.

How do I know when my booking is complete?

We will send a confirmation email to the email address registered to the tenant, usually within 24 hours of receiving your paperwork.

I have not had an email from you and my booking is due to expire soon – what should I do?

If you have not had this email it is possible that we have not got your paperwork. Please contact us as soon as possible to confirm that we have had this so we can ensure your booking does not expire.

How do I arrange an arrival time?

This information is in the welcome guide that we email to you closer to the time of arrival. If your arrival date is approaching and you have not had this information please call us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

Is there parking?

Many of our properties have a car park for use by our students. There is a weekly cost for booking a car parking space, but you can choose to pay this in instalments. Car parking availability is limited, very popular and issued on a first-come first-served basis so please get in touch on 0800 1217387, or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas, if you require a parking space.

I have special requirements for my living needs, can Unite Students help with these?

We will always do what we can to find you suitable accommodation. Please call us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

I want to book with my friends, how can this be organised?

You can organise a booking with your friends by completing the Group Booking Form online.
Alternatively, you can visit the reception team at your property to book your flat/rooms, or call us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

What are the differences in the rooms? Ensuite and Studio/ Premium, Classic, Basic?

This can differ from property to property. You can find the details on the 'Rooms' tab of each property on our website. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, call us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

Can I get a shorter tenancy?

Some of our cities offer short, flexible tenancies. Details of these options can be found here (subject to availability).

Can I move in early or check out late?

Our standard tenancies have fixed dates and cannot be changed. However, if you are looking to move in earlier or move out later it may be possible to book an additional short stay tenancy. Please speak to your reception team or call us on 0800 1217387 or +44(0) 117 3027497 from overseas.

What is a council tax exemption form and why do I need it?

This is a document that proves that you are not liable to pay local council taxes. Your university can provide you with an exemption form once you have enrolled.

What documents do I need to bring to the property when I move in?

Please bring an official form of ID with you (for example, a passport or driving licence). If you have not already returned the original signed tenancy agreement, you should also bring this with you.